14 January 2007

Christian Hatred 8

Gentle reader, one suspects that you tire of my diatribe about Christianity... indeed, often one tires oneself. The Sabbath seems an appropriate day to conclude, so I offer a few sensible tips and tactics to adopt the subject of religion whenever is broached in your company.

Bear in mind that even I show a little respect to another person’s religion, although only to the extent that I respect another man's theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart. In the middle of a discussion, when someone tries to introduce a religious angle, I usually try;

“There’s no reason to bring religion into this: we ought to have so great a regard for all religions as to keep them out of as many things as possible.”

However, if coerced to enter a religious debate with a particularly argumentative Christian, I adopt the following tactic: I draw attention to the notion that man is created in the image and likeness of God with a free will of his own, then remark:

“So if man has to be free to make his own blunders, does that mean God makes blunders? Perhaps man is one of God’s blunders?”

Moving on to:

“Or perhaps God one of man’s blunders?”

If that fails to leave the Christian tongue-tied, then try:

“Is not ultimate proof of God’s omnipotence that he need not exist in order to save us?”

No comments: